Acting Director Student Wellbeing: Betty Chau
Acting Director Student Wellbeing: Karen Burton
Our model of student welfare is centred around a House model. The House coordinator and assistants are the first point of call for parents when wishing to discuss issues of student welfare and well-being. Our staff establish strong positive relationships with the students and families that belong to their House.
The House team aims to:
- Provide a positive and meaningful teacher/student relationship
- Be a source of advocacy for each student
- Along with the student develop an Individual Pathways Plan
- Track, monitor, report and evaluate students' achievements, standards and progress
The Houses at Gungahlin College, are more than just 'roll call' or weekly notices. It is a sixth class for students and provides them with opportunities to:
- Improve their study and time management skills
- Build resilience
- Contribute to the school and wider community
- Take on leadership roles
- Be explicitly prepared for the transition to a post-school world
- Develop a stronger sense of belonging with their peers, the staff and the school
Our large student population is divided up into eight houses: Aquila, Centaurus, Draco, Hydra, Orion, Phoenix, Scorpius, and Tucana.
Each House has a House Coordinator and a House Assistant, overseeing the:
- Student achievement and wellbeing of students in a particular house
- Coordination of College activities that foster 'competitive spirit' between the houses
House activities organised by our House Coordinator team are designed to promote student well-being and a thriving college community. House coordinators and assistants are supported by the Directors of Student Wellbeing, a school psychologist, careers and transition officers, the defence transition mentor and the Student Administration team. Our college executive structure, too, is aligned around student welfare with an Associate Principal of the college, responsible for overseeing student well-being, transitions and cultural competencies.
Please see the Houses page for more details about our pastoral care program.