Year 10 SMART Program
The SMART selective program is designed for students who show interest and aptitude or potential in Science, Mathematics and Related Technologies and who are prepared and keen to develop effective and responsible learning skills in preparation for Years 11 and 12, post-secondary studies and other post-school options.
The enrolment intake for the program includes selected Year 10 students. These selected students will have the opportunity to optimise the benefits of attending Gungahlin College by participating in a comprehensive preparation program and commencing some Year 11 subjects while in Year 10.
The SMART program ensures that students acquire skills in
- Problem solving
- Using technology
- Working collaboratively in teams
- Making connections between theory and 'real-world' applications
- Developing laboratory skills
It is expected that students will leverage off their opportunity to participate in the SMART program by continuing at the College in Years 11 and 12.
Students will have access to an interdisciplinary curriculum that offers acceleration in Mathematics, including access to Year 11 Specialist Mathematics, Mathematical Methods and ANU Secondary College.
- Physics, Chemistry, Biology, Mathematics, English, SOSE, IT and PE
- Project based learning utilising the College's specialist Mechatronics facility
Second round applications are now open for enrolment into the 2020 SMART program.
- Entrance will be based on students' aptitude in and passion for Science and Mathematics
- Selective intake - Places are limited
- Open to students who reside in our priority enrolment area (PEA) suburbs of Amaroo, Bonner, Casey, Crace, Forde, Franklin, Gungahlin, Hall, Harrison, Jacka, Mitchell, Moncrieff, Ngunnawal, Nicholls, Palmerston, Taylor and Throsby.
- Potential students will be required to go through an application process consisting of:
- Written application
- Entry test
- Interview for shortlisted applicants
- Applicants would be required to commit to leaving their current school at the end of Year 9 to undertake this program
- Successful applicants are expected to remain enrolled at Gungahlin College until the completion of their Year 12 certificate
- Complete the following application form: SMART Application Form by 5pm Monday, 9th September 2019.
- Make a payment of $60 for the Entry test using the following details:
Account name: Gungahlin College
Account Number: 001375
- The test will be held on Tuesday, 17th September 2019 from 3:20pm to 5:20pm at Gungahlin College.
Interviews for shortlisted applicants
- All applicants will be notified of the outcome of their application, however, only shortlisted applicants will be invited for an interview at the college (Wednesday 25th September) during the last week of term 3.