Year 10 SMART Program
The SMART selective program is open to all students in the ACT. It is designed for students who show interest and aptitude or potential in Science, Mathematics and Related Technologies and who are prepared and keen to develop effective and responsible learning skills in preparation for Years 11 and 12, post-secondary studies and other post-school options.
The enrolment intake for the program includes selected Year 10 students. These selected students will have the opportunity to optimise the benefits of attending Gungahlin College by participating in a comprehensive preparation program and commencing some Year 11 subjects while in Year 10.
The SMART program ensures that students acquire skills in
- Problem solving
- Using technology
- Working collaboratively in teams
- Making connections between theory and 'real-world' applications
- Developing laboratory skills
It is expected that students will leverage off their opportunity to participate in the SMART program by continuing at the College in Years 11 and 12.
Students will have access to a interdisciplinary curriculum that offers acceleration in the following learning areas:
- Physics and Chemistry: Access to acceleration into Year 11 Sciences and ANU Secondary College
- Mathematics: Access to into Year 11 Specialist Mathematics, Mathematical Methods and ANU Secondary College
- Mechatronics: taught in the College's purpose build Mechatronics laboratory focusing on skills in applied science and engineering
- Physics, Chemistry, Biology, Mathematics, English, History, IT and PE
- Information Technology (including robotics)
- Project based learning utilising the College's specialist Mechatronic facility
- Linked programs with ANU
- Entrance will be based on students' aptitude in and passion for Science and Mathematics
- Selective intake - Places are limited
- Open to all students across the ACT
- Potential students will be required to go through an application process consisting of:
- Written application
- Entry test
- Applicants would be required to commit to leaving their current school at the end of year 9 to undertake this program
- Successful applicants are expected to remain enrolled at Gungahlin College until the completion of their Year 12 certificate
Applications for 2018 are now closed. Offers for placement in 2018 will be sent on Monday 3 July 2017. Information regarding the 2019 Application Process will be posted here when it is available.