The SMART selective program is designed for students who show interest and aptitude or potential in Science, Mathematics and Related Technologies and who are prepared and keen to develop effective and responsible learning skills in preparation for Years 11 and 12, post-secondary studies and other post-school options.
The enrolment intake for the program includes selected Year 10 students. These selected students will have the opportunity to optimise the benefits of attending Gungahlin College by participating in a comprehensive preparation program.
The SMART program ensures that students acquire skills in
- Problem solving
- Using technology
- Working collaboratively in teams
- Making connections between theory and 'real-world' applications
- Developing laboratory skills
It is expected that students will leverage off their opportunity to participate in the SMART program by continuing at the College in Years 11 and 12.
- Physics, Chemistry, Biology, Mathematics, English, SOSE, IT and PE
- Project based learning utilising the College's specialist Mechatronics facility
Applications for enrolment into the 2022 SMART program are open from Monday 12th July, 2021 . Please note there is only one application round.
- Entrance will be based on students' aptitude in and passion for Science and Mathematics
- Selective intake - Places are limited
- Open to students who reside in our priority enrolment area (PEA):-
Gungahlin suburbs: Amaroo, Bonner, Casey, Crace, Forde, Franklin, Gungahlin, Hall, Harrison, Jacka, Mitchell, Moncrieff, Ngunnawal, Nicholls, Palmerston, Taylor and Throsby.
Dickson suburbs: Acton, Ainslie, Braddon, Campbell, Canberra, City, Dickson, Downer, Duntroon, Fairbairn, Hackett Lyneham - including Exhibition Park in Canberra, Majura, O'Connor, Pialligo, Reid, Russell, Turner, Watson.
- Potential students will be required to go through an application process consisting of:
- Written application
- Entry test
- Interview for shortlisted applicants
- Applicants would be required to commit to leaving their current school at the end of Year 9 to undertake this program
- Successful applicants are expected to remain enrolled at Gungahlin College until the completion of their Year 12 certificate
- Applications will open on Monday 12th July, 2021. The SMART Application Form is available here.
- Complete the application form. Applications close at 5.00pm on Monday 30th August 2021.
- Make a payment of $60 for the Entry test. Payment details:
Account number: 001375
Reference: SMART (child’s name)
- The test will be held on Friday 10th September, 2021 at Gungahlin College from 8.30am - 10.30am.
Interviews for shortlisted applicants
- All applicants will be notified of the outcome of their application, however, only shortlisted applicants will be invited for an interview at the college during the week of Monday 13th September to Friday 17th September, 2021.